The Parliamentary Service Board is set to announce a decision to drop plans to build a 450-seat chamber estimated to cost $200m.
The Acting Director of Public Affairs of Parliament, Ms. Kate Addo, told Joy News’ Parliamentary Correspondent, Joseph Opoku Gakpo the concerns of the people is paramount and have been taken into consideration in reaching the decision.
She subsequently told the Midday News on Joy FM that the construction has been put on hold for now.
Anger on social and mainstream media has been simmering since it emerged plans were being made to build a new chamber. A protest against the decision has been planned for Saturday, July 13.
Majority Leader, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu, who strongly supported the construction of the chamber, granted many media interviews cataloguing reasons why the decision was a sound one.
He was forced by the palpable anger of the general public, including residents of his Suame constituency to beat a retreat, announcing no firm decision had been made in respect of the building of the new chamber.
Ms Addo said even though the architectural designs for the new chamber were unveiled, more was yet to be done before construction eventually begins, the reason, she said, Members of Parliament were yet to be briefed on the decision.
Some MPs actually expressed anger with the leadership of the House for failing to properly inform them and proceeding to concretise plans for the new chamber.
The Majority Leader apologised for not informing the MPs of the discussions initiated before 2012.
The Parliament of Ghana
Kate could not state exactly how much has been paid for the architectural designs, save to say that certainly some money has been paid.
She would not state emphatically if the plans are being shelved for good. Ghana will need a new Parliamentary chamber sometime in the future, she insisted.